Kodi is usually used for streaming your content online, sort of like Netflix. But what if you’re planning a trip to somewhere that you won’t have internet access? Obviously you can’t stream your TV shows without a connection. If you are like me, you’ll plan ahead and make sure you’ve pre-downloaded what you want to watch. This feature is similar to Netflix’s watch offline feature. In this guide, I will teach you how to download movies and TV shows with Kodi using the Venom Addon. Other addons also come with this feature but for simplicity’s sake, I will stick to Venom because the addon is working and being updated by developers.
Before we start if you don’t have Venom installed we must install it.
- Open Kodi
- Go to the Kodi file manager.
- Click on “Add source”
- The path for the source is https://123venom.github.io (Give it the name “Venom”).
- Go to “Addons”
- In Addons, install an addon from zip. When it asks for the location, select “Venom”, and install repository.venom-1.*.zip
- Go back to Addons install, but this time, select “Install from repository”
- Select the “Venom repo”
- Go into the “Video add-ons” section in the repo, and you’ll find the Venom addon
Be sure to Authenticate your Debrid Providers if you have RD or PM in URLresolver/ResolveURL
Once you have Venom installed we have to start tinkering with the settings. It’s not too difficult and I will walk you through the steps.
- Open Venom addon
- Select the “Tools” menu
- Go to Settings Download
- Select “enable downloads”
- Click on movies and select whichever directory you would like to be able to save the file to.
- Click on TV Shows and select whichever directory you would like to be able to save the file to
- Select “Ok” to save your settings
- Back out the main menu of the Venom Addon
- Go to whatever TV show or movie you would like to watch and select it
- Once you have a list of sources click on one with the menu button
- Select Download
- A popup will appear with the name and file size select ok
- Wait patiently while your video downloads.
- Once it is finished downloading you will be notified!
I only suggest using this method to watch TV shows and movies on Kodi if you have a device that has a good amount of storage (upwards of 16GB) . This includes any external storage you are using for your device as you can just save directly to that instead of your device.
For anyone with an android box that has sup par storage such as 8GB, I wouldn’t recommend downloading a bunch of media files as you will quickly run out of storage!
This method would be ideal for anyone that is using Kodi on their laptop. You can create custom folders directly on your desktop and save all your media files in there. Obviously using Kodi for downloading content isn’t the most conventional way of getting the content you want to watch but it is a neat trick.
I would still advise using other methods to download media content as Kodi isn’t the most efficient way to do so. Kodi is more efficient at streaming than it is at downloading because most addons you are using come with free hosters. Free hosters actually limit the download speeds on their websites because their bandwidth cost is highly expensive and this is one of the reasons why a lot of people face buffering issues.