How To Backup Kodi
Backing up Kodi is just as important as backing up your computer or saved files. One miss-step and you could potentially screw things up. This usually can happen when you install new Kodi addons, especially if they aren’t from a reliable source. And Just like computers once something screws up you will lose important data, in this case, your favorite addons.
So if you need to uninstall Kodi because it keeps crashing or it’s working poorly we can backup and restore your Kodi file. This method is also great if you want to quickly get Kodi setup on a different device with all your favorite addons already installed. This saves you a ton of time!
To get started you need to install the program addon openwizard. Open Wizard is a maintenance addon that allows you to install builds and do general maintenance on Kodi.
How To Install Open Wizard
- Go to the Kodi file manager.
- Select “Add source”
- The path for the source is https://drinfernoo.github.io/ (Give it the name “Drinfernoo”).
- Go to “Addons”
- In Addons/ install an addon from zip. When it asks for the location, select “Drinfernoo”, and install repository.openwizard-*.zip
- Go back to Addons install, but this time, select “Install from repository”
- Select the “OpenWizard Repo”
- Go into the “Program add-ons” section in the repo, and you’ll find the OpenWizard addon
If you would like a more in-depth guide on how to install openwizard you can visit my other post here
How To Backup Kodi
Now that you have open wizard installed all you have to do is go down to “program addons” and find openwizard.
- Open OpenWizard
- Select “OpenWizard Maintenance”
- Once the page loads select “OpenWizard backup and restore”
- Now Select “backup build”
- You will be prompted asking if you are sure you would like to backup your Kodi build, select yes.
- Now give your build a name, you can name it whatever you like it doesn’t matter.
- You will be asked if you want to keep certain addon data, select “include data”
- The backup is now complete!
Now to access your Kodi backup file you have to visit your Kodi installation folder on your device. Once found the file will be located in Kodi\ My_builds.
This guide doesn’t have to be used for just backing up your Kodi file but can also be used for cloning Kodi. This is helpful if you have a different device such as the amazon fire stick and you would like to copy your Kodi file over from your computer.